Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
9, Rynok Square
In the 17th century this 68-room mansion (architect Ja. Prokopovych) belonged to Lviv archbishops. Some of the gold decorations for the Golden Hall were brought from Gdansk. Unfortunately, only small parts of the embellishment survived. Zygmunt III Waza and Wladislaw IV stayed in this palace while visiting Lviv. It was here that King Michael Corbut Vishnevetsky died in 1673.
However, the building became famous after the wedding of Sofia Seniavska, the daughter of Lviv elder Adam Seniavsky. The wedding was organized by her fiance S. Denhorf. Because of the fear of epidemics, the palace was allowed to accommodate and entertain only 18 guests and serve four dishes. The elder could not break the law, but he could easily "improve" it. Musicians cheered the numerous relatives and friends, who gathered in front of the house, and the window-sills on the top floor were groaning with huge beer-barrels. The beer was then poured down the rain sewers and anyone was free to dive into this merry stream. One of the guests even lay down on his back and gulped the beer till he was drawn aside dead drunk. Six hundred candles and four hundred lanterns lighted the celebration.
In 1909-1914 the palace housed the English Club for the English who lived in Lviv. Now it is the City Children's Iibrary.