Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
2, Rynok Square
After more that a decade of restoration works, the Bandinelli Palace (17th century, reconstructed in 1737-1739) is gradually acquiring its original look. In 1629 R. Bandinelli received a license to conduct mail-delivering services. His couriers covered by horse the distance between Lviv and the north of Italy at the tremendous speed, for those days, of two weeks. For a short period, known in the history of Poland as "Flood", the palace was turned into a mint. In the near future, it will house the Museum of the History of Postal Services in Lviv. The portal of the palace, supported by stone columns and decorated with two dolphins, which symbolize the successful trading, attracts the attention of curious tourists.
STATUES OF GREEK GODS AROUND THE CITY HALL
Today the Rynok Square is quiet and even sleepy. It is hard to imagine that once it was a bustling place with merchants strolling up and down the market offering all the world wonders and second hand dealers dressed in gaudy clothes inviting passers-by to buy fish, which then was the most popular article of trade. To keep fish fresh a water-reservoir was put in the market, which was later buried under the debris of the collapsed City Hall.
Later, the city authorities decided to adorn the market with fountains and commissioned the artist Hartman Vitvert to decorate them with sculptures. Artemis, Adonis, Diana and Neptune encircled the City Hall. Despite the calamities of wars, revolutions and epidemics, the fountains remained intact. Whether frost or heat, they were watching the hustling Lviv dwellers.
The real hardships struck the fountains not a long lime ago. First, the water was turned off. Later, some vandals stole the bronze name-boards off the sculptures. And finally, modern barbarians broke a paw off a dog's statue and an arm off the statue of the goddess of hunting. Luckily, the gods endured all the sufferings. And only the feeling of deep resentment made them turn their back to City Hall.