Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
4, Rynok Square
Branch of the Lviv History Museum
The Black Mansion is considered the visiting card of the city. The main part of the building, designed by the famous Italian architects Peter Barbon and Paul Rymlianyn, was decorated in the Renaissance style (1573-1596, with the second floor being built in 1884). In the late 14th century Jan Lorenzovych opened in the mansion the first pharmacy in the city. The composition of St. Martin sharing his cloak with a beggar, placed by another owner of the mansion, Martin Anchevsky, among the figures of St. Florian and the Virgin against the background of the beautiful bossage, produces a profound impression on the viewer.
The sandstone bricks of the mansion exposed to the rain and wind, have gradually acquired a darker tint. However, the mansion has never been of black color, but rather of dark-gray. Yet, recently, guarded by some mysterious rationale, the authorities have painted it black. If you want to try yourself in the role of a mansion security guard, sit on the bench on the right side to the entrance. Today, the edifice houses a branch of the Lviv History Museum.