Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
The Western Side of The Rynok Square
28, Rynok Square
Built in 1610 it is one of the few edifices of the Renaissance period that remains almost intact. The house was owned by Pavlo Happner, a city advisor and a doctor. Its fasade is richly decorated with various Latin inscriptions of moralistic character and a passer-by can count up to 20 images of lion cubs. Special attention should be paid to the decor of the entrance door portal.
It was in this building that the Cossack's leader Ivan Pidkova spent his last days before execution. For the interference in the political activities conducted by the Turkish vassal in Moldova, the Turkish Sultan had the Polish King arrested and condemned Pidkova to death. The public's interest prevailed and Pidkova was executed on June 16, 1578. Under the weight of the people who gathered on Rynok Square to watch the execution, the attachment to the City Hall collapsed, which was taken as an evil sign.
Take a few steps off the northeast corner of the square down Krakiwska Street and listen to a legend about the famous lady Abrekova. In the late 16th century people used the walls and the windows of her mansion (1, Krakiwska Street) as an out of control, and in 1601 the Magistrate issued a decree prohibiting such actions. However, people continued to break the law, and only with the interference of the Church the situation was brought back in control.
At the start of the 20th century building N 12 on Shevska Street, which begins on the same corner of the square, housed a restaurant owned by Naftul Tempfer. Among the gifted and, in most cases, yet infamous youth, Naftul's restaurant was known under the name of "Pekelko" ("Little Hell"). The establishment was distinguished by its unique atmosphere. Naftul's son made his fortune by acquiring pictures and other works of art from poor artists and selling them after the artist's death of "artistic life".
24, Rynok Square
Branch of the History Museum
On the western side of the square there is the mansion once known as Gibliov’s or Massari's. In tne 16th century it belonged to the celebrated family of Scholtz. Later it was earned over to Antonio Massari as part of his wife's dowry. To commemorate this event a winged lion was placed at the stairs to the palace. Later, the house was owned by Lviv adviser Gordon, a Scot by origin.
In the 18th century the walls of the edifice witnessed the conversations between the Russian Tsar Peter I and the local Russins and Polish gentry. The bas-relief as well as the third floor were added only during the reconstruction works carried out in 1920. After the latest restoration the antique god Mercury surrounded by little putti looks exceptionally attractive.
In 1946 the palace was turned into the History Museum. Nowadays, among other interesting exhibits, it displays one of Lviv's oldest relics - the famous vane made in the form of a little lion, which in the old days used to catch winds on the City Hall roof. Every time danger loomed over the town, the vane fell off the steeple. When the City Hall collapsed it was the last nasty fall of the "little lion”. To avert possible evil prophecies, the vane was locked in the museum and firmly attached to a wall.
THE REGUL'S PALACE
30, Rynok Square
Built In the 16th century, this mansion was first called by the name of its first owner Jacob Regul, the Regul's palace. In the second quarter of the 17th century it belonged to the merchant Lushkovsky, who lived here together with his beautiful daughter Jadviga.
During one of King Wladislaw IV Waza's visits to Lviv, she was standing at the window greeting the monarch. One glance at the young beauty and the King was head over heels in love with her. Later, he took Jadviga to Warsaw and mode her his mistress. Their son got the surname of Waza. However, kings rarely marry those they love and in 1637 under constraint from a popal nuncio and the most powerful people in the state, Wladislaw married Austrian princess Cecile Renata. Jadwiga married Jan Vypysky, who was rewarded with a huge estate by Trakai, Lithuania, to compensate for the 'inconveniences' of the marriage.
Yet, the King did not betray his true love, and often visited her in her estate. He died in her presence in Merech in April 1648. His death aggravated the already strained relations between the Polish Stale and Ukrainian Cossacks.