Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
The Northern Side of The Rynok Square
The northern part of the Rynok suffered more than any other part of the square. Till the mid-18th century some of the buildings remained abandoned. Among the houses, that survived the difficult times, N 33, 41 and 45 still attract tourists'attention.
In 1637 N 33 was acquired by Lviv pharmaceutical chemist Jan Kalianista. In the first half of the 18th century the building underwent a reconstruction under the supervision of one of the most famous Lviv architects B. Meretin. In the Soviet times, the "Na Rynku" ("On the Market") coffee-shop, located on the ground floor, was nicknamed "Za Plechyma Radianskoi Vlady" („Behind the Soviet Authorities”). Nowadays, it houses the „Olmar” restaurant, famous for its richly decorated interior and top-notch chef.
Since Lviv fell under Austrian rule the house at N 41, Rynok Square, was known under different numbers and names: M 160, WH 138, Grenzowsky's (Grentsivsky's) mansion or Kernytovsky's (Karvivsky's) mansion. In the 17-18th centuries it was occupied by a jewelry guild. In 1664 it was owned by Stanislav Karvovsky and Anna Gavinska. The further fate of the house is unclear; we can only presume that since 1704 it was abandoned like many other buildings on the northern part of the square. There is some evidence that in 1792 it belonged to Marianna Sheptytska (nee Yablonovska). In 1793 the famous architect Clement Fesmaer stayed in the house. According to some official documents, in 1889 the mansion was owned by Samuel and Anna Bronch. In this very house the well- known Lviv sculptor T. Bronch lived.
On the "modern", compared to other buildings on Rynok Square, fasade of N 45 (1803) one still can trace fragments of the Gothic style. Yet the building's history is more interesting than its appearance. At the start of the 20th century it housed the only candle and waxwork factory in Halychyna. This was a profitable enterprise, which since 1851 had been supplying the city with the means of illumination and had been making fortunes by trading exotic "colonial" goods, such as tea, coffee and cocoa.
Yet, the major attraction of the building was the "Atlias" restaurant, named after its owner M. L. Atlas and located on the ground-floor. It was frequented by the creme-de-la-creme of artistic circles. The atmosphere of the establishment could be compared to that of the well-known restaurant in Krakow „Yama Ya. Mikhalika.” The restaurant walls were decorated with works of art and humorous poems.