Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
Lviv Opera House
In 1896 the city administration made the decision to build several public establishments, with Lviv Opera House being at the top of the list. The construction started in 1897 on the site where the palace of the Holukhovkys once stood. The works conducted under the supervision of the architect Z. Horholevsky were completed in three years. In those days the theatre was a real accomplishment from the architectural and construction points of view in 1900 the Poltva made a breach in the pipe and flooded the theatres basement and macninerv hall. This constituted a serious threat tor the building could have sunk to one side yet, the theatre survived. The restoration works were last carried out in the Soviet times.
Several kilograms of gold leaf were used for the interior decorations of Lviv Opera House and tons of copper - to cover its roof. The fasade is adorned with the image of Genius, holding a golden olive branch, with the statue of Drama to the left and the statue of Music to the right. Beneath the sculptures, there is the composition of "The Joys and Sorrows of Life" placed in a trinngular tympanum. The principal cornice is crowned with the statues of eight muses (architects A. Popel Yu. Markovsky. T. Vyshnovetsky, Yu. Beltovsky) On the both sides of the loggia are placed the statues of Tragedy (A. Popel) and Comedy (T. Bronch).
Even more refined is the decoration of the interior of the Opera House. Above the entrance to the stalls there are the statues of Comedy and Tragedy by the sculptor P. Vijtovych. The plafond in the lobby is embellished with 12 lockets that in the allegorical form symbolize the art seasons (A. Popel). Above the entrance door to the circles, there is a painting by I. Rybkovsky representing different types of Lviv bourgeoisie and nobility. Yet the most gorgeous place in the theatre is probably the Mirror Hall on the first floor with the Four Seasons by M. Herasymovych and allegories of Europe, Asia, Africa and America, which together with the allegories of Love, Envy, Pride and Maternity (S. Debicki), form a single ensemble. The ceiling is adorned with plafonds with the allegories of Poetry, Dance, Music, Love, Hatred, Justice and Wisdom, as well as with a scene from the ballad by Ju. Slowacki. The sculpture of the prima donna S. Krushelnytska, whose name was given to the theatre, was placed in the hall in 2000. The circles were decorated by M. Herasymovych, P. Vijtovych, E. Pidhorsky and D. Giovanetti. S. Reihan painted the ceiling. In the center is the image of Genius and an angel holding the Lviv's emblem. The plafond above the stage represents Poland in its glory. The ceiling is decorated with allegorical female figures symbolizing Grace, Music, Truth, Dance, Hatred and Illusion, as well as with portraits of leading actors and actresses. Made in the shape of a lyre, the theatre holds 1000 viewers.
Lviv Opera House is easily regarded the pearl of city architecture. By the way. it is ihe only edifice in Lviv printed on the national currency (20 UAH bill).