Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
The present-day Shevchenko Prospect is considered the most elegant adornment of the city. The first recollections of the street date back to the 16th century, which then was a Lviv's fringe quarter with a pond and two streams - the Soroka and Pasika. The people who inhabited the district were predominantly involved in different kinds of craft.
In 1871 the street was reorganized and given the name of Akademichna (Academician), as at the end of the street there were several University buildings. Despite the new name (Shevchenko Prospect), the majority of Lviv's population still call it Akademichna. Since the 19th century it has been one of the favorite promenade places in town. It used to be lined with twenty-two poplar-trees, but they were cut down because of their old age and replaced with maples.
Right in the middle of the street opposite the casino there was the monument to Lv.iv poet Corneliy Weisky (sculptor A. Popel, 1901), which, after the war was moved to Szczecin. Here on this street you will get acquainted with the buildings, which to this day bear the traces of the glorious past.
APARTMENT BUILDING OF A.SEGAL
1, Shevchenka Prospect
The apartment building (architect T. Obminsky), owned by the lawyer A. Segal, is one of the best examples of the Lviv Secession architectural style. The building's appearance, location and the popularity of its owner soon attracted respected tenants. The first floor was occupied by Marian Turski, the director of Eastern Auction. Although both the fasade of the edifice and its interior decorations are equally impressive, the most remarkable are the fanciful stained-glass windows. Today, the ground floor is under the most popular Lviv grocery store.
10, Shevchenka Prospect
This Neo-Baroque edifice crowned with two turrets and with a largest shop-window on the ground floor stands out among other mansions in the street. Completed in 1894 (architect Ya. Schultz, sculptor Herasymovych), up till 1940 it had been used as a residence and office premises for the famous Lviv confectioner V. Zalewski. Zalewski, who had been taught by Jan Mikhalik from Krakow, transmitted the "sweet flair" and elegance of Krakow to Lviv.
In 1928 the architect K. Pjotrovych designed the interior decoration of the ground floor and the shop-window in the "Art Deko" style. The window displayed the famous pictures made of chocolate and sugar. The factory's produce was exported to Paris and Vienna.
After Lviv was joined to the Soviet Union, Zalevski was declared a capitalist and exploiter and exiled to Siberia, where he breathed his last breath. In one of his last letters to his wife he complained that all he longed for was at least one bite of something sweet.
LVIV STOCK AND COMMODITY EXCHANGE
17/19, Shevchenka Prospect
The buildings monumentally is the accomplishment of the architect A Zakharievych. It was on the premises of Stock and Commodity Exchange that the most crucial decisions for the city and the region were taken.
It was also the headquarters to the Eastern Auctions that attracted to Lviv the European beau monde. In the old days, hundreds of estate owners flocked to the Auction Market. Here they signed agreements, effected all sorts of bank payments and settled a good match for their daughters. The main aim of the Auction lay in promoting Polish goods on the Asian and Middle East markets. The rapid economic development resulted in opening a regular flight between Warsaw and Lviv in 1922, and in improving railway communications.
Today, the building houses the Office of Public Prosecutor. If an opportunity arises, have a look at its magnificent interior. A lasting impression is produced by the stained-glass windows and mosaic decorations of the stairs (architect C. Frych, 1909). On the first floor there is a conference room with the allegoric picture by F. Vygczyvalsky and the alto-relief by Z. Kurchynsky telling a story about the Man's life and fate.
"SHKOTSKA" ("SCOTTISH") COFFEE-SHOP
27, Shevchenka Prospect
At the end of the street there is a building constructed in 1909 in the late English Modern style by the architect Z. Bronhvich-Levynsky. The building was famous for the „Shkotska” („Scottish”) coffee-shop located on the ground floor (1909-1914).
It was here that protessors S. Banakh and M. Zarytsky created and developed their celebrated school of mathematical analysis. Lviv legend goes, that during their meetings in the coffee-shop these two University mathematicians used to write equations. The one who did not solve the equation had to buy a drink or provide some other reward for the winner. The only problem with these innocent pranks was that the professors did the calculations on paper napkins, which drove the waiter mad. Finally, Banakh's wife bought a note pad that went down in history as the „Shkotska book”. Unfortunately, the latest reconstructions completely changed the interior of this building.
Across the street there is the monument to the famous historian and President of the People's Republic of Ukraine, Mikhail Hrushevsky.