Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
7, Russka Street
The construction works of Uspenska Church or the Church of the Dormition (also known as Russka or Voloska church) began in the 14th century. First wooden, later made of stone, the church was burnt and rebuilt several times.
The construction of the building that survives till today started in 1591 by architect Pavlo Rymlianyn. The works were completed in 1629 by architect A. Prykhylny. The width of its walls and the windows, that are made high above the ground, confirm that the church could have been used as a fortification.
The building was designed in the best traditions of the Ukrainian wooden church architecture. The crypts still hide the tombs of such prominent fraternity members as K. Korniakt and I. Pidkova, as well as that of the relatives of Moldavian rulers. The church is made of white squared stone, which adds to the aesthetic perfection of the building. The central dome is decorated with the emblems of the benefactors, Moldavian rulers and Russian State.
To the left of the altar are the relics of St. Mercury, presented to the church by Hetman M. Khanenko. The iconostas and the altar were made in 1773 by M. Filevych and F. Olendzky. The stained-glass windows by P. Kholodny (late 1920s) impress one with their elegance and perfection.
THE CHAPEL OF THREE BISHOPS
The Chapel of Three Bishops was attached to the church in 1578-1590 at the request of K. Korniakta. After the fire in 1671, it was renovated by the Greek merchant A. Balaban. The chapel is considered one of the best examples of Lviv Renaissance architecture. It still impresses visitors with the exquisite interior and exterior decorations, especially the mosaics and the cupola lantern.
THE TOWER OF KORNIAKT
The Tower of Korniakt (by architect P. Borbon), attached to the church of the Dominion of the Holy Virgin in IS72-1578, is the tallest building m the Old Town. During its long history the tower has suffered numerous hazards The monks of the Dominician order could not stand the chimes of thelower-bells that muffled the toll from other belfries. During the 1672 assault a cannon ball struck the roof and made the tower „shed tin tears”. In 1779 lightning hit the belfry and set it on fire. The 65.8-meter tower has not been renovated for three hundred years and now is in bed need of repair.