Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
Dust of thousands of our forerunners lies under the stones of city streets and the foundations of its buildings. Catholic, Orthodox and Armenian temples which became the place of the rest eternal of Lviv inhabitants had appeared on a comparatively small territory.
More Old Town of Lviv Photos in
Burials of outstanding members of Ukrainian community were held in the vaults of the Wallachian Church (Church of the Assumption). Catholic inhabitants were able to bury their near relations in the cemetery near the Cathedral. More prosperous citizens built separate burial-vaults. The chapel of the Kampians, patricians of the city, added to the northern wall of the Cathedral and the Boims mausoleum are preserved till nowadays.
A great community of the Armenians had its burial places both in the city and in the suburbs. Three Armenian sacred things were situated along present-day B. Khmelnytskyi Street and there was a Cathedral in the city. The yard of the Armenian Cathedral is laid with gravestones carried here after the liquidation of suburban cemeteries.
Old tradition says that there was a mosque and a Mohammedan cemetery somewhere in Pidzamche.
The Karaimes had their cemetery over the Poltva river on the slope of Kortum hill too. In a while it turned into a big Jewish cemetery called “The Old” one. Many legendary persons from the city and suburb found their rest eternal there. The cemetery was destroyed by the Nazis in 1941-1943 and numerous gravestones were used for paving roads.
In 1772 the city was divided into 5 sections and new areas far from settlements were alloted for new burial places. Thus, section one got the cemetery called Stryiskyi. At first it was situated in the environs of today's main entrance into Stryis'kyi park. Section two, Krakow one, buried its inhabitants in Horodetskyi cemetery in the upper part of today's Fedkovych Street. Section three, Zhovkva one, had a small cemetery in Pidzamche called "Paparivka" at its disposal. Section four, Lychakiv one, got a big area out of the Church of St. Peter and Paul.
In 1883 Yaniv cemetery was opened for the inhabitants of the western part. Not far away a New Jewish cemetery formed in 1855 had already been situated in the environs of Zolota Street.
With the extension of the city territory Lviv absorbed former suburb villages which had their own cemeteries. The cemetery in Znesinnya is fully preserved. The only in Lviv undestroyed grave of a Ukrainian Riflemen ("Strilets"') stands here. The gravestone of T. Czuchraj (1901) with Madonna's figure by sculptor L. Makolondra, gravestones of 1920-1930s from A. Zagorski and T. Iwanowicz workshops are among the artistic monuments.
In 1975 Lychakiv cemetery was closed for mass burials. The city alloted a new territory near Sykhiv district and later on new buryal places to the north-east of Lviv - Bryukhovychi road were organized. It is the only today's functioning Holosko cemetery.