Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
The cemetery is situated in 128, Shevchenko Street. One can get there by n.7 tram. Its area is about 38 hectares. There are about 200 thousand burial places, situated in 68 fields there. Yaniv cemetery was founded in 1883 for the western part of the city. The fields of ancient burials are placed to-the right of the main entrance and along the central lane. The largest number of the monuments of artistic value is here. The tomb of the Dzicielowski family attracts attention in field 31. It is decorated with an interesting bas-relief "The Way to Eternity" (1919). Most of monuments belong to the chisel of mason workshops masters A. Zagorski, A. Krol, L. Tyrowicz, H. K. Perier, L. Olszewski, T. Iwanowicz. The gravestone of the Machan family, including one to a doctor, professor of Lviv University Johann Machan (1764-1824) is the oldest art monument. It's a monument made in the Empire style with a figure of a mourner, made probably by A. Schimser in 1820s. It was transferred to Yaniv cemetery at the beginning of the 20th c. from Horo-detskyi one after the latter had been destroyed. Interesting burial vaults with "Art Deco" decoration of 1920-1930s were made in W. Koizewicz's workshop. At the beginning of the 1980s because of the lack of spare space Yaniv cemetery was closed. The main entrance to the cemetery was placed in Shevchenko Street. At the entrance there is a little chapel of co-lumn type of the 17th c. established in 1938 after architect Antoni Lobos's project. The main lane leads northwards. At the joint of field 51 and 14 the grave of Latin Archbishop of Lviv Jozef Bilczewski (1860-1923) is situated. He made his will to be buried here to attract population's attention to the new cemetery.
To the left of the main lane there is the burial place of victims of April events of 1936 when Vladyslav Kozak (1913-1936) was killed by police during mass agitation of the unemployed. His burial took the form of antistate actions, during which ten more participants of the actions were killed. Memorial to the killed was put into order in 1956. Yaniv cemetery took the remains of Ukrainian patriots Olha Basarab (1890-1924, field 13), Vasyl Bilas (1911-1932, field 4) and Dmytro Danylyshyn (1907-1932, field 41) for the rest eternal.
The War Memorial to the Ukrainian Galician Army soldiers ("Riflemen of the UGA") was renovated in field 38. One thousand and seventy soldiers were buried here. Somewhat later UHA Commander Myron Tarnavskyi (1869-1938) and the Prime Minister of ZUNR (West-Ukrainian People's Republic) Kost' Levytskyi had slept in Tomb of this cemetery.
The ground of Yaniv cemetery took the remains of famous Ukrainian painter Modest Sosenko (1865-1920, field 31, sculptor Ye. Dzyndra), poet Bohdan-Ihor Antonych (1909-1937, field 4, sculptor T. Bryzh), sculptor Julian Beltowski (1852-1926). In Yaniv cemetery next to field 55 there is a common grave "Three crosses" of unidentified victims of "Bryhidky" jail. Beside there is a memorable cross to the victims of NKVD terror in June of 1941 stylized as a birch one.
In 1962 after disbandment of Lviv Jewish community the territory of a new Jewish cemetery was joined to it. Before the World War II it took plenty of Lviv citizens. In 1856 there was built a synagogue on means of Efroim Wixel. In 1912 they started to build new preburial premises - Beth-Tahara, projected by R. Feliriski and J. Grodyriski.
Liquidation of the cemetery started at the beginning of 1943. All buildings and tombs were ruined. The oldest monument which has preserved till nowadays is dated 1914. In the time of the Soviets the cemetery went on to function under the city Jewish guardianship. At the entrance from Yeroshenko Street, where the remains from ancient burial places were reburied in the first post-war years, a granite obelisk was placed. Compact Jewish burial places are situated along the main lane and in the near-by fields.
There exists a small Polish war cemetery of 1918 in field 37. Only some tombs and a memorial cross have preserved. In the western end of the cemetery out of field 53 there is the cemetery of German war prisoners which were in Lviv in 1945-1949. 20 numbered graves have preserved.