Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
Kaiserwald in German means king's forest. Such a name, which is not typical for a Leopolitan ear, is linked with a visit of Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph. During his first visit he liked that hilly area near the city. By his second visit the area had already received this name, and a commemorative plate was built later. Old people were mentioning that the Emperor chose a small house near the area and planned it to be a hunting hut. But the age and war did not make it happen. We do not know if it was true or false, but at that time a road was built along the perimeter of the Kaiserwald. Today we can see some remaining fragments of the road in the lower layers of northern and north-eastern hills. By today there have been two stone bridges preserved. The road is a good route for cycling and walking; in winter it provides an easy access to a lower part of a downhill route from Dynamo sport base on the northern slope.
Till 18th century the lands were owned by the Alembecks family, whose name is preserved in the name of a Lviv street. Later the lands were bought by a German family Longschamp de Berrier; and local population gave the area the name Lonshanivka. Kaiserwald today is a park within Shevchenkivskyy and Lychakivskyy administrative units of Lviv, with Kryvonosa, Opryshkivska, Lysenka, Piskova, Krypyakevycha, Staroznesenska, Dovbusha, Mytropolyta Lypkivskogo streets around it. The only street which crosses the park is Chernecha Hora Street. The name originated from a fact that on this area Greek-Catholic Monks -Studites settled down and founded a Laura of Saint John the Baptist, which was blessed by Metropolitan Andrei Sheptytskyy, who had bought the lands. We can definitely state that the Museum of Folk Architecture started in 1930 with transferring a Saint Nicholas Church (built in 1763) from Kryvky village (area of Staryy Sambir) by cost of the Metropolitan and support from Mykhailo Drahan, a scientist and art expert. The church till now has remained the piece de resistance of the museum.
This is a hilly area with ravines and woods. Together with Leo's Hill (which by mistake is called Lysa (Bald) Hill) and Vysokyy Zamok Hill, the latter is separated from Kaiserwald by a mere Opryshkivska street, Kaiserwald forms a long ridge with altitude of 400 meters above sea level. Today Kaiserwald area has become a part of Znesinnia Park and Museum of Folk Architecture, established in 1971.
An interesting fact is that from 1908 till 1914 a first in Ukraine Luna park with attractions and out-door summer restaurants was functioning here. Perhaps this fact persuaded local authorities in 1966 to transform Kaiserwald into landscape park Shevchenkivskyy Hai. Gradually an area for Singing Performances (Spivoche Pole), Museum of Folk Architecture, a ski jump, a luge track was set up. But after some time due to financial strains and miscalculations in project design, ski jump and luge track were dismantled.
Anyway Kaiserwald is one of the favourite places for active rest. There are opportunities for running, walking, cycling, roller-skating, skate-boarding; in winter ther^re comprehensive down hill ski facilities for children and youth at Dynamo training complex.