Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
The Eastern Side
House No 2 dates from 1589. In 1634 it became the property of Roberto Bandinelli, who ran the first regular post office, set up by an Italian, D. Monteluppi. In 1629 the Polish King Sigismund III Vasa granted Bandinelli the title of Royal Postmaster.
House No 3 was the property of the Vilchkys, local patricians. In the late 16th century it became notorious because of a dramatic love story. A young Italian, Urban della Ripa Ubaldini, fell in love with Hanna Vilchek, Killed his rival, was sentenced to death and was granted a pardon. As the old story would have us believe, the judges could not resist the appeals of their wives, who were fascinated by the young and handsome Italian. Besides, the fact that young Ubaldini was related to the Pope of Rome was also of some importance.
House No 4 construction of which was started in 1588, is famous for its intricate masonry: rough-hewn, diamond-shaped stones, grow dark with age. Hence the name of the house — "Black Stone House”. It is not quite clear who designed the House: Petro Krasovskyj, Paul of Rome or Peter of Barbone. The attic and the sculptures of the facade were added in 1675-77 by architect M. Hradovskyj. The portal is decorated with exquisite stone-carving. Among the saints on the facade there is a statue of St. Martin, the patron saint of one of the house owners’ Doctor of Medicine Martin Anchevsky In 1926 the House was purchased by the city; three years later Lviv’ History Museum was opened there.
House No 6, now Lviv History Museum, is one of the finest Renaissance monuments in Ukraine. It was commissioned from Pete of Barbone by a Greek merchant, Constantine Kornyakt, one of Lviv' richest and most educated men. Its construction was completed in 1588. After 1647 the House was the property of John Sobiesky who in 1674 became the King of Poland. It was in this house that; called Eternal Peace Treaty was signed between Russia and Polan in 1686, under which Poland gave up its claims to the left-be Ukraine.
House No 8 was owned by one of the richest Lviv families, the Armenian Bernatovychys. It was Avedik Bernatovych who in 1648 paid to Bohdan Kchmelnitskyj the redemption price for Lviv in sum of 100 thousand chervints.
House No 9 dates from 1634. It stands on a land plot which was the property of the Church from 1376 to 1939. However, the city was reluctant to assign it rights to the plot, and Archbishop Bernard excommunicated Lviv for such disobedience. The city, for its part complained to the Pope of Rome, who excommunicated the Archbishop. The House served as a residence for kings and princes; from the second half of the 19th century it accommodated printing shops, a casino, and the English club.
House No 10 was designed by architect John de Vitte in the 1750s. From 1899 it housed the book shop of the Taras Shevchenko Society, which sold books by Ukrainian writers and works by foreign authors, translated into Ukrainian.