Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
The Museum of Folk Architecture (Skansen)
The museum started to be formed under the open air in 1971. Today at the i exhibition of the museum one may observe 120 relics of folk architecture from western regions of Ukraine. Besides, the working exhibition and the funds keep about 20 thousand subjects of everyday life and works of folk art. The museum is placed on the area of 50 hectares in the north-eastern part of the city in the picturesque Shevchenko Hai (grove). The exhibition is organized according to ethnographical principle. The museum has a number of miniature villages with 15-20 architectural objects in them. In dwelling houses and in household buildings there are exhibited things of home use, clothes, handicraft instruments, agricultural implements, transport facilities.
"Boykivshchyna" sector opens the exhibition viewing. Ethnographical region "Boykivshchyna" covers the territory of Ukrainian Carpathians. The peasant's house built in 1749 from Lybokhora village, Skole district, Lviv region is the oldest relic in this sector. The cottage built in 1910 from Tukhol'ka, Skole district is a precious exhibit. This cottage is interesting for its figurative corbels and carving decorated posts.
The exhibition has two wooden churches from Kryvka village (1763), Turka district and from Tysovets' village (1863), Skole district, Lviv region. They are notable for their special architectural forms and constructions. The church from Kryvka village is a folk architecture masterpiece of all-European significance.
Such household-productive buildings as the mill, the smithy, the fullery are the important ones in the sector. The fullery (the mortar) is especially interesting for its mechanism.
From "Boykivshchyna" sector a visitor may come over to the Lemky estate of early 20th c. from Zarichevo village, Velykyi Bereznyi district, Transcarpathia region. Lemkivshchyna covers the territory of Western Carpathians. In 1992 the sector exhibition was enriched with a new object. That was the Church of St. Volodymyr and Ol'ha, which was restored from the new material in imitation of a typical Lemko temple of 1831.
On the most divided part of the museum territory there is "Hut-sul'shchyna" situated. The Hutsuls live in the Carpathians within Ivano-Frankivs'k region, some districts of Chernivtsi and Transcarpathian regions. Since long ago the local masters were busy with handicraft. The Hutsul houses interior is multicoloured. The table, the chest, the cupboard are decorated with carving, the big stove shines with its tiles. In old times houses in Hutsul'shchyna were scattered about the mountains far apart from each other. Each estate here resembles a kind of a fortress. Such an estate was brought from Kryvorivnya village.
"Bukovyna" sector completes the Carpathian group. An estate from Berezhonky village, Vyzhnytsya district exhibited there was built of fir-wood in late 19th c. In the centre of Bukovyna microvillage there is the Troyitsya (St. Trinity) Church of 1773 from Chernivtsi suburb. Household productive buildings in this sector are notable for the six-armed windmill.
In "Lvivshchyna" sector two estates and a church are already prepared for exhibiting.
"Podillya" sector has the church of 1773 from Sokoliv village, Buchach district, Ternopil' region and the bell-tower from Monastyrys'ka village of the same region.
The museum fund collection possesses precious sets of folk clothes and textile, Hutsul tiles and a stove collection (the works of such famous masters as 0. Bakhmatyuk, M. Baranyuk, P. Koshak) among them. In the 80-ies there were purchased 200 musical instruments. The museum also has rare manuscripts and incunabula.
On the territory of the museum there are organized performances of amateur folklore ethnographic ensembles. The annual folklore ethnographical festivity "From the Folk Sourses" is of great success with the visitors.
The museum address is: 1, ChernechaHora St.; tel.: 71-80-17. The opening hours are: every day, except Monday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.