Transfers Lviv - Warsaw - Lviv
National Museum in Lviv
It is one of the most significant museums of Ukraine, the reserves of which amount to over 130 thousand units of keeping.
The collection was laid in 1905 as a private foundation by the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptyts'kyi, named "The Church Museum".
Icon-paintings, which numbers four thousand kept, are the substance of the collection. An important one is the collection of sculpture, unrivalled in quality and artistic values. At the same time the museum funds keep masterpieces of European artists too: Pinsel, Polejowski, Filevych and others. A set of Ukrainian folk and professional engraving of the 17-18th c. is of great value (about 1 thousand units of keeping).
The collection of manuscripts and printed incunabula from the Cyrillic ones to rare multiillus-trated publications of the 18th c. such as Cracow publications by Schweipolt Fiol (1491-1493), Prague and Vienna printings by Fran-cisk Skoryna, almost every Ivan Fedorov's publications deserve special attention too. Relics of the 13-16th c. are in the collection of manuscript books.
The best works from the museum collections are fittingly represented at the permanent display of the museum. In the museum halls in 20, Svobody Avenue the exhibition of old-Ukrainian art and the art of the 19th - early 20th c. is placed.
(Opened every day, except Friday, tel.: 74-22-82, 72-89-60).
The Collection of Old-Ukrainian Art
The collection of old-Ukrainian Art gives a chance to fol-low the development of icon painting around Ukraine from the 14th c. to the Baroque time (the 17-BS 18th c.). HH Tendency for the colouristic manner of execution and abstract-symbolic interpretation of space ("Saint George the Dragon Slayer" from Stanylvar, "The Virgin" from Krasiv, "Saviour-Pantocrator" from Mylyk and others) is prevailing for the icon painting of the 14-15th
Presented at the exhibition icons of the MB 17-18th c. show a stage of new quality. It is the stage of development of Ukrainian church art. The artists use the manners of West European art more actively. The most outstanding Ukrainian masters of that period were Ivan Rutkovych (Zhovkva iconostasis) and Y. Kondzelevych (Bohorodchany iconostasis).
Ukrainian Art of the 19th c.
The exhibition of Ukrainian art of the 19th c. shows the peculiarities of a new epoch in the development of Ukrainian Fine Arts. The founder of a new period was Taras Shevchenko. He brought art closer to the people for the first ftime.
Intensive development of Ukrainian art takes place in the latter half of the 19th c. The pioneers of the revival of the national art in the western part of Ukraine were Kornylo Ustyyanovych ("The Cossacks Battle", "The Boyko Couple"), Teofil Kopystyns'kyi, Tyt Romanchuk, Stepan Tomasevych, Oleksandr Skrutok.
Besides painting a few sculptures are exhibited: a composition "Muse" by Petro Viytovych (Wojtowicz) who is the representative of Neoclassicism in Lviv sculpture and the realistic portraits of writer V. Stefanyk and composer S. Lyudkevych, done by My-khaylo Parashchuk.
In the premises of 42, Drahomanov Street there are the exhibitions of Ukrainian modern and folk art.
The Exhibition of Ukrainian Modern Art
The exhibition of Ukrainian modern art shows the wide range of outstanding artists who have been in the vanguard of Ukrainian culture and art since the early 20th c. There are such famous works among the exhibits as "The Dnipro near Kyiv" by Ivan Trush, "Awakening" by O. Novakivs'kyi, "Eva" by O. Kul'chyts'ka. Sacral art of the early 20th c. is represented by the works of M. Sosenko, M. Boychuk ("Last Supper", "Saint Elijah").
The works of well-known Ukrainian artists are presented at the exhibition of the period of interwar twenties. Among them are the following ones: M. Wodzicka ("Autumn"), 0. Hryshchenko ("The Sea Landscape"), M. Hlushchenko ("The Bank of Seine"), M. Sel's'ka ("The Round-about"), R. Sel's'kyi ("In the Port") and others.
The new department of the exhibition presents art of the post-war twenties (1945-1965). Socialist realism becomes the prevailing direction at that time. Genre painting with Kyiv masters as
representatives is being developed In the post-war times the sculpture is actively matured in Galicia
In the separate department of the exhibition there are works of artists of the sixties. The best time of their work fell on the period of the so-called "thaw" on one hand and on the time of violent censorship persecution from totalitarian ideology on the other hand.
0.Zalyvakha, A. Hors'ka,0. Min'ko, L. Medvid', K. Zviiyns'kyi, R. Petruk, P. Markovych, A. Bokotey, Ye. Lysyk,
1.Ostafiychuk and others are brilliant representatives of that time.
The collection is supplemented with recent works of Lviv artists of the 1980-90s.
The exhibition of Ukrainian folk art which presents works of different kinds is widely developed in the halls of the museum in n. 42, Drahomanov Street. Information telephone: 72-57-45.
The National Museum in Lviv has four branches - the artistic-memorial museums.
The Oleksa Novakivs'kyi Artistic-Memorial Museum
The building of the Oleksa Novakivs'kyi Artistic-Memorial Museum was bought by Metropo1itan A. Sheptyts'kyi in 1911 and in 1913 it became the dwelling and the studio of the outstanding Ukrainian artist. Permanent exhibition of the museum represents the main stages of the development of O. Novakivs'kyi.
The address: 11, Lystopadovyi Chyn Street. Information telephone: 72-94-08.
The Olena Kul'chyts'ka Artistic-Memorial Museum
The Olena Kul'chyts'ka Artistic-Memorial Museum is placed in the former four-roomed dwelling of the artist. The 1-st room is the former studio. Oil painting presented there is mainly of early period. There are ornamental furniture, a little loom, a printing-press for engravings there.
The 2-nd room is the former livingroom. Graphic works, ornamental furniture after O. Kul'chyts'ka's design are exposed. The 3-rd room is the former private O. Kul'chyts'ka's room. Such religious works as "The Virgin with Angels" tapestry and oil painting are there.
The address: 9, Lystopadovyi Chyn Street. Information telephone: 72-57-67.
Leopold Levyts'kyi Artistic-Memorial Museum
Leopold Levyts'kyi Artistic-Memorial Museum was established in 1984 in the former artist's dwelling he lived and created in from 1946 to 1973.
The address: 10, Ustyya-novych Street. Information telephone: 72-48-78.
The Artistic-Memorial Ivan Trush Museum
The exhibition of the Artistic-Memorial Ivan Trush Museum is placed in the house, built by the artist in 1910. I. Trush lived and worked there for over 30 years.
The address: 28, I. Trush Street. Information telephone: 35-34-13.
Besides its branches in Lviv, the National Museum has the ones around the region. They are: the Ustyyanovych Patrymony Museum (Vovkiv village, Pustomyty district), the Boykivshchyna Museum and the Les' Kurbas Museum (the town of Chervonohrad), the M. Bilas Museum (the town of Truskavets').